The Surprising Truth About Natural Products

The Surprising Truth About Natural Products

In recent years, the demand for natural products has skyrocketed as consumers seek safer, eco-friendly alternatives to conventional options. From skincare to household cleaners, the allure of natural ingredients promises purity and sustainability. However, amidst the hype, there's a need to unravel the truth behind natural products. Let's embark on a journey to uncover the surprising reality, separating fact from fiction in the realm of natural products.

Did you know that in order for a product to qualify as 'natural' it only needs to have 95% natural ingredients? The other 5% can be completely synthetic and may include toxic ingredients. This is why it's important to not simply rely on the 'natural' equals safe claim that many couple together. It's always important to read ingredient lists. 

The term "natural" is also not regulated, leading to ambiguity and confusion among consumers. Arsenic, for example, is a naturally occurring substance but certainly not safe for consumption. Therefore, it's crucial to scrutinize product labels, look beyond marketing claims, and understand the science behind natural ingredients.

While we're on the subject of natural products and labels, let's talk about greenwashing. Greenwashing is the practice of misleading consumers into believing that a product is more environmentally friendly than it actually is, and it is prevalent in the natural products industry. From misleading labels to vague marketing language, deciphering greenwashing tactics requires vigilance and critical thinking.

Transparent brands that disclose ingredient sources, manufacturing processes, and environmental initiatives are invaluable allies in the quest for genuine natural products. Many mainstream brands have now turned to greenwashing to gather this audience, however the product ingredients are most certainly not green. 

This is why it is so important to read labels and know the ingredients. I always recommend for safety ratings on commercial skincare. They give a letter grade for the safeness of whole products as well as individual ingredients.

Until our next ted talk, be a peace friends.

Back to blog